There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Always Have a Plan!

Just like the "A" Team, even Clean Eaters need a plan.  In order to not only eat well, but also to save money, it is very important to have a plan.  I always make a menu for the week before grocery shopping.  Today I just simply want to share with you what our dinner will look like this week.  If you are interested in any of the recipes, make a comment or send me a message on Facebook.  I have shared most of these before, and am happy to do so again!  I generally list only the entree unless there is a particular veg or side dish I want with it, so please do remember to eat your veggies!

SUNDAY - Rosemary pot roast
This has to be one of the easiest and most tasty dinners ever.  All you need is meat, coconut oil, worcestershire and rosemary (fresh or dried), and a crock pot.

MONDAY - Balsamic Mustard Chicken and baked acorn squash
I like recipes that I don't have to buy a lot of weird ingredients to make.  This is another one that is made with things I usually have stocked in the pantry.

TUESDAY - Falafel with whole wheat pita and tzatziki
This one takes a little more time but is so worth it when you taste those fresh whole wheat pitas.  A lot of falafel recipes call for tahini sauce, which you can easily substitute, but we just love tzatziki (cucumber-yogurt sauce)

WEDNESDAY - Black beans and rice
Another easy go to recipe!  The only reason this takes any time at all is because the rice takes 45 minutes to cook.  If you pre-make your rice on Sunday, then this one takes about 15 minutes!

THURSDAY - Tortilla soup
I add cooked chicken for a little extra protein, but can be made without it too!  (Use leftover chicken from Monday!)

FRIDAY - Barbecue sandwiches
Repurpose the meat from Sunday into fabulous barbecue beef sandwiches!

SATURDAY - Go out!
Our Saturday is typically filled with chores and errands, so after church in the evening we usually go grab a bite to eat at Panera.  While the salad dressings are not what I would call a first choice, the salads are made with fresh ingredients, so I am going with that!  As long as I have eaten totally clean all week, one serving of salad dressing isn't going to wreck that.  I love the chopped chicken cobb with avocado!!!

Once we have made the menu, we think about our snacks, breakfast and lunches, and any special cooking we need to do that week (a treat for co-workers, perhaps?!), and make our list.  A grocery run often includes Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Giant, (with a trip to the farmer's market when possible) but all of the above recipes can be made with ingredients purchased at any major grocery store chain.

So get busy!  Make your menu.  Make your list.  Go shopping!  As Hannibal would say, "I love it when a plan comes together."  ("A" Team reference for you young'uns!)

No comments:

Post a Comment