There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Back to Basics

Yesterday on my Facebook page, the chat turned to smoothies.  To respond to a request, I returned to some of my original sources for recipes.  GreenSmoothieGirl.com and an e-book called Try-It Diet: Eating Clean: A Two-Week Healthy Eating Plan were two resources I used heavily early on, along with www.thegraciouspantry.com and www.thenakedkitchen.com.

Truth be told, the holidays have been a bit of a challenge, healthy food-wise.  I made some clean cookies and other treats but, as I often say, everything in moderation.  I don't think I was very moderate with my cookie intake.  And, oh, yes, I certainly did eat a small piece of shoo-fly pie (decidedly UNclean!) and a bit of Breyer's vanilla ice cream.  (Shoo-fly pie is best when warmed slightly and accompanied by ice cream, just so you know.)  So, long story short, it doesn't appear that I will be meeting my holiday goal, which was to not gain any weight from Thanksgiving to New Year's.  I wasn't expecting to lose, but I really wanted to stay stable.  Uh,yeah, no.  As of right now, I am up 2.6 pounds.  That does not make me happy, but I do have until the morning of Jan. 2 to lose it, so we'll see.

Anyway!  Returning to my original inspirational books and websites made me realize that I may have gotten a bit far afield on my lifestyle.  I needed to get back to the basics and quit trying something new all the time.  So as of yesterday (Dec. 29) I am back to green smoothies for breakfast.  This was always a great kick starter to my day.  Gave me tons of energy first thing in the morning.  And when you are out the door at 6 a.m., it's nice to have energy!  Lunch will be leftovers from a previous night's dinner, as usual.  And dinners needs to go back to the basics again too.  That means a serving of protein (grilled chicken or beef, most likely) and lots of steamed veg.

Eating clean doesn't have to be complicated, and I think I was complicating it a bit.  I can probably save some money, too, if I am not always trying new recipes!  Coconut flour and coconut crystals are expensive!!  Not to say I won't still be doing some baking and making the occasional treat, but I think I need to dial it back for 2013.  Simplify my life.  Simplify my lifestyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment