There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year - New Recipe

I did my traditional New Year's Eve celebration again this year.  For many of the past 30 years, I have done exactly the same thing.  This year was not an exception.  Around 9:00 I started falling asleep on the couch.  At about 9:30 I went to bed.  Slept straight through and woke up around 6:30.  Whoo hoo!  Happy New Year!  Lame, I know.  But it is by choice, so that's okay.  What really warmed my heart was checking Facebook this morning and seeing that my (grown) children spent it together.  That was not part of the original plan, and they live about 2-1/2 hours from each other, so it was awesome to see that they we able to connect last night.  Truly... Happy New Year!

But before I got comfy on the couch last night, I did make supper. We spent the weekend at Baby Girl's place, so the groceries are limited.  Poor college students don't usually have much in their fridge.  We had bought a few things, but didn't want to buy a lot and then have it not get used.  So the other day I took some chicken out of the freezer (don't worry, I bought it a long time ago... can't be cutting into the college kid's budget).  When it came time to make it into something, I had lots of ideas, but limited ingredients.  I am happy to say this was very tasty, and is more proof that you can eat clean on a limited budget.  I don't typically drink store bought juice, but if I do, it needs to be 100% juice and no added sugar. If I were at home, I might have used fresh squeezed oranges (but probably not, because besides being cheap I am also lazy), and fresh pineapple (this is more likely just because I love fresh pineapple).  So this is what I did....

Pineapple-Orange Chicken

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup pineapple-orange juice  (100% juice with no added sugar)
1 TBSP honey
1 TBSP butter
olive oil

Mix the juice and honey together, then add the chicken.  Marinate for an hour or so (you can probably skip this step if you're really pressed for time).  Drizzle a little olive oil in a pan with burner on med high heat.  Brown chicken on both sides in the olive oil then add about 1/4 cup or so of the juice from the marinade.  Cover, turn heat back to med low and cook chicken through, about 10-15 minutes on each side (turning once).  When chicken is done, remove to a plate.  Turn heat back up to med high and add 1 TBSP butter and remainder of marinade.  Deglaze pan, scraping up any bits in the bottom.  Continue to stir and sauce will get bubbly and slightly thick.  Pour over cooked chicken and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment