There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Recipe for Success

I have been trying to figure out ways to make eating clean easier for others who aren't all in yet, or who are just thinking about how to do it.  It has been a struggle to put into words the exact formula for success in clean eating.  This morning I was looking at some of the other Facebook pages and blogs that I follow and someone commented that they wish someone would just tell them to eat x amount of this, and x amount of that, etc.  That's what I really thought I wanted to do for you, and you, and you!  But I realized when I read his post, that I can't.  No one can.  This is a personal journey and it's about what works for you and your body, and also for your lifestyle.

Gluten Free Pita Bread Recipe


Because I work full time outside the home, and have a 75 minute commute each way, I have had to develop my eating plans around that.  I can take my lunch to work but we only have a microwave and a toaster oven for heating.  So those are more things I have to take into consideration.  Also, we are often away from home on the weekends, so that's another factor.  But I no longer have children at home so, to me, that makes it a little easier, because my meals don't necessarily have to be kid friendly, although I think a lot of them are.  I know they are husband friendly, because MR jumped on this wagon right along with me with no qualms or problems.  And, you should know, MR is the king of desserts!  His motto has always been, life is short, eat dessert first!  But he has adapted to this lifestyle very easily, right along with me.  He still gets desserts from time to time... just cleaned up!

Cheesecake Recipe



While I can't tell you exactly what to eat for every meal and snack that will make you successful, I can tell you this...be INTENTIONAL about everything you eat.  Consider how it fits into clean eating and your lifestyle.  Remember some critical factors:  1) always pair protein with a complex carbohydrate, 2) eat 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks every day, eating about every two or three hours, 3) no white flour, and 4) no white sugar.  For me, I have found that I have to limit the desserts, even the cleaned up versions.  I also limit the amount of wheat flour I eat.  I can have it, just not every day, and certainly not every meal.

Also, find some favorite clean eating bloggers, and follow them, try out their recipes.  It might help you, as it did me, to create your own blog and Facebook page.  I don't know how many people read any of these, but it does a few things for me.  First, it gives me a place to stash favorite recipes.  I also have them on Pinterest, but I have found that if I create my weekly menu here, with links to the recipes, then they are all in one place and it makes my life easier!  Second, it helps me to focus and remember why I even started clean eating. It was because I was tired of being overweight and feeling like crap.  When I eat clean, I truly do feel better.  And my thinking is clearer.  Third, it gives me a place to go back and reflect on my journey.  Especially when I find myself getting off track, I like to go back and re-read the blogs and posts and remind myself why this is so important.  And fourth, it allows me to share what I have learned with others.  It took me a long time to figure out how to eat right.  That sounds kind of silly, maybe, but I think a lot of us have fallen into the trap of thinking we can eat things with "healthy" on the label and that makes it okay.  I just didn't understand that truly healthy food is something we make ourselves whenever possible, and includes only whole food ingredients.

Black Bean Quinoa Salad recipe

I guess this still doesn't answer that person's request... tell me to eat x of this and x of that.  But hopefully, it helps someone.  If nothing else, when future me reads this, it will remind her why she is doing this and why it's important to stay on track.  And let me say one more time, for the record, this is not a diet.  This is a lifestyle.  This is how I eat for now and forever.  I have been doing it for over a year, very rarely eat anything outside of the parameters (and regret it when I do), and I just don't see any reason to stop.  Why mess with success?

Have a clean day!







3 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you. I believe I will try to start with the basics of no white four, no white sugar, pair a complex carb with a protein. And eat 3 meals and 2 snacks, but not back to back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the easiest way to start. Yeah don't turn your meals and smacks into one long meal. Although it you space it right it may seem like you are always eating!

      Delete