There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, August 11, 2013

An Inspirational Story

The story you are about to read is true.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent... oh wait, that's Dragnet.  (If you don't know what that is, go ask your Grandpa!)  Seriously, though, the below story is true.  I saw it lived out.  I am still seeing it being lived out.  This is his journey, and I am pleased to share it with you.


******************************************************************************
Tom’s Journey

In 2000 at the age of 41 I was diagnosed with a partially blocked artery near my heart. Since then I have been on cholesterol, high blood pressure, and other heart-related medications. Throughout the past few years I've tried to diet but always reverted back to my same eating habits which consisted mostly of processed, sugary, and mainly junk food. As I maintained my regimen of taking heart medicine daily, I noticed that my weight continued to increase. At my heaviest I weighed 232 lbs, but that is only what I was measured at the doctor’s office – I’m sure that I was closer to 250 lbs. In 2010, I began having severe knee pain and sought out an orthopedic doctor. In June 2011, I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee but it didn't work and in December of the same year I had a total knee replacement. As my knee healed I had plenty of time to think about what I was doing to my body but once again I did not have the willpower to stick to anything. Another year went by of eating whatever I wanted and not really enjoying it.

Last summer, (2012), I watched the Joe Cross film, “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead” and wished I had the willpower like those highlighted in that documentary. I tried juicing in the past but hated the mess it made and the cleanup of the juicer was a pain. I then began to notice the infomercial on the Nutri-bullet and thought that I would like to try it. However, it probably would have been another fad diet gadget that would just sit around the house after using it twice, like the juicer. It was also during this time that I began to notice a huge change in our good friends, MR & MRS. Both MR. and MRS. were losing lots of weight and talked about doing it while they ate “clean.” I thought that it sounded like a crazy concept and went back trying to drown myself drinking gallons of water each day and still eating whatever I wanted, thinking that the water would wash the pounds away.

Finally in October 2012 after feeling miserable about myself I was at Target and saw the Nutri-Bullet and decided to take a chance. I brought it home and I distinctly remember my wonderful wife looking at me knowingly as if it would be used twice then put it away with the juicer. Even so, my wife was supportive and began to help me by purchasing more fruits and vegetables which I could pulverize in my bullet to make a nice green smoothie. This actually took off and I began to eat 1-2 green smoothies per day. I them began to follow MR. & MRS. “clean” eating style and began viewing a variety of clean sites and redesigning our recipes. During this time my wife began to change our dinner recipes and adopted a Paleo concept. In a month I had already lost 8 lbs and I was motivated more than ever.

I began researching more about healthy eating and took more of an interest in green smoothies. After a few months of using the Nutri-bullet I decided to upgrade to purchase a Vita-Mix and once I had this gem… I was on my way. Now I start my day with a green smoothie and I either make one for lunch or take leftovers that I make into some type of salad. For dinner my wife will have a Paleo-style meal ready and I am able to stay full throughout the day. Unless I’m too busy at work to have my snack, I usually never go without eating something for more than a few hours. I love grapes, almonds, cucumbers, fresh fruit and any non-processed clean type of food. I was the type of person who would drink a case of soda in a week and eat a large bag of chips in one sitting. My favorite snacks were a glass of cold milk which I could dunk not one but several cookies in.

For those who believe they don’t have the willpower or for those who fall off the wagon, take it from me… you can do it. We all have our cheats and that’s fine, but eat clean 6 out of 7 days in the week and you will achieve your goal.


Now 10 months into this journey and 60 lbs lighter my doctor has taken me off all my meds… This was my ultimate goal – not just losing weight but getting off the meds. I thank God everyday for the work he has done with me and I pray that he continues to bless me.
*******************************************************************************

Okay, me again!  I am so happy for Tom that he has been allowed to go off all of his medications, and has had to get all new clothes!  You can do it, too!  You may need to start in baby steps, or go all in from the beginning... whatever works for you.   You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment