There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, September 22, 2013

VACATION... but still eating clean!

First, please allow me to recognize all those who died, were injured, or otherwise affected by the rampage at the Washington Navy Yard this week.  I have worked there in the past, not at building 197, but very nearby, and worked on some projects with some folks from there, and also am friends with some employees at NAVSEA.  I do not know anyone personally that was killed or injured, but nevertheless, I have thought about them all every day this week. A lot of my friends and former co-workers were on the Yard throughout the entire day and my heart goes out to each of them.

Mental illness is a huge issue in our world, and I just pray that anyone who is having any kind of issues seeks out help, and if that help is not as forthcoming as it should be, continue to pursue it.  If you have a loved one that you think is struggling, be open with them and encourage them to get the help they need.

This has been a long week.  I'm glad that I am now on vacation.  We usually go away right after Labor Day, because all the usual crowds are gone from the beach but everything is still open.  It got a little delayed this month, due to one thing or another.  But no matter, as long as we finally work a vacation in.  I don't really care about all the normal beach vacation activities.  We mostly ride bike, walk, and kayak.  And we can do that as long as the weather is cooperative.  Whenever and wherever we are on vacation, if it's for more than a few days, we try to get a place that has a full kitchen.  It makes it easier for us to stay on track with our clean eating lifestyle and, mostly, keeps the cost down.  Because, I am cheap like that!  So, for us, in most cases, being on vacation is not difficult when it comes to eating.   But we will also go out to eat some this week.  And I may even indulge in some not-so-clean treats.  Why not?!



This week's menu:

This stuff is epic!  And at the end of the week, if there are leftovers, this will become sandwiches!

Pasta Pomodoro
Easiest sauce in the world to make.  15 oz can of diced tomatoes plus 1/4 cup of pesto.  Voila!  Pour it over cooked pasta.  I have some chicken tenders that I cooked on Friday that I will pair with this for protein.

Chili
Always a go to because it's easy and has basic ingredients.  Pretty sure you can make this however you want.  Protein (I use grass fed ground beef), chopped onion, tomato sauce or diced tomatoes, black beans, pinto beans, and/or kidney beans, spices to taste!

Pizza
We stopped at Trader Joe's and picked up a fresh whole wheat crust.  Makes an awesome pizza!  I actually had some white flour crust recently and it was so boring compared to the whole wheat!

I am working on perfecting clean macaroons. There are some good recipes out there but the ones I have tried so far don't stick together as I would hope.  So there may be a coconut macaroon recipe in your future!  In the meantime, keep it clean!




3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I use whole wheat pasta. Be careful not to get "whole grain." Read labels!

      Delete