There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Hey, Grampa, What's for Supper?

Did you ever watch Hee-Haw?  If you're old like me, you probably did.  Remember the little skit with Grampa Jones, where they would ask, "Hey, Grampa, what's for supper?"  Then he would list a bunch of weird foods.  Yeah, I never really understood that skit and what was funny about it.  And I really do have a good, albeit warped, sense of humor.

What exactly is a Fly Army?
Speaking of my sense of humor.  I was following this van the other day and could only envision a bunch of flies in formation wearing combat boots and helmets.  Is it just me?????

Anyway, here it is another freezing cold morning.  The heat just runs and runs and that bugs me.  I hate the sound of my money flying out the window to the electric company.  But feeling pretty blessed that I have a good furnace that is keeping me warm!!  Man, this has been a cold January.  And yeah, I know it's Winter... but we live south of the Mason-Dixon line, so I expect a little better!  :-)

All this cold weather makes me want to make lots of yummy comfort foods.  That's a good thing, as long as I am keeping it clean!  Soups and roasts!  Yes!  And what else shall we have this week????  Well, let's see!

Creamy Tomato Soup - This is super-duper easy and can be doubled or tripled without problem.  Season to the taste you want.  I add some basil!  And what else goes with tomato soup but.....

 Toasted Cheese Sandwich - The secret to this recipe is in the cooking!

Honey Balsamic Chicken Tenders - I made a balsamic pot roast this week that was out of this world, so now balsamic vinegar is my new best friend.  Can't wait to try these!  I will pair them with a nice salad!

Pepperoncini Brisket - This is so easy it doesn't even really require a recipe.  Just drop a brisket into your slow cooker and dump a jar of pepperoncini (including the liquid) over it.  Cook on low for about 10 hours.

Brisket Sandwiches - What a fabulous way to use up leftovers!  Just tear the leftover brisket up, reheat, and serve over clean bread!

We will also have a mustgo night... everything in the fridge Must Go!  If there's not much in the way of leftovers, we have stuff to make pizza with a Trader Joe's whole wheat crust.

Some other tasties we might have this week include......

Apple Pie Balls - I haven't made these in a while but they take just minutes and are so delightful!

Chocolate Dipped Figs - Another super easy treat!  Awesome!!!!

Clean Eating Granola - This is my favorite granola recipe.  You can add other ingredients if you like, but this one is perfection to me!  I eat it as a cereal, mixed in with Greek yogurt, or as a snack!

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats  - MR has been making this about once a week for over a year.  This is his breakfast every weekday morning.  He makes a slow cooker full on the weekend and then scoops out a serving every morning for his breakfast.  So easy, so yummy!  And you can add other ingredients if you like!

SLOW COOKER STEEL CUT OATS
2 cups steel cut oats
2 cups almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
2 cups water
1 T vanilla
1 T cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped

Mix together in slow cooker.  Cook on low for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, stirring about once an hour.  Allow to cool and store in airtight container in refrigerator.










2 comments:

  1. Perfect timing! I was going to ask for the slow-cooked oatmeal recipe. I'm going to give it a shot. Making oatmeal in morning is quick and easy, but now I'm sometimes leaving before 6 a.m., so this will be excellent to grab, microwave and go. I'm also going to try a couple of other recipes you have here. Thanks, Clean Eating! You're a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You should also check out recipes for oatmeal breakfast cookies... Sometimes I eat in the car on the way to work (I know, I shouldn't!) and they are very handy!!!

    ReplyDelete