There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Keepin' it Easy, Keepin' it Clean!

Two things seem to hold folks back from clean eating.

1)  You think it's hard.  Yes, you have to prepare most of your meals from scratch, but it doesn't have to be hours of a heated up kitchen.  Like many families, we both work outside the home.  Plus, we have crazy long commutes!  So we want to be able to come home and make a quick supper.  I am always on the search for things that are simple but still tasty and, most of all, clean!

2) You think it's expensive.  Initially, restocking your kitchen and getting rid of the junk can seem expensive.  But as you progress, I think you can do this without it being significantly more expensive.  And think of the trade off!  But one way I offset any added expense is by planning!  I make a menu every week, and try to do two very important things:  First, use what I already have in the cupboard or fridge and, second, find a way to use leftovers.  I have said it before and I will say it again.  It is so important to plan!  So take some time once a week and make a meal plan.  Don't just plan the evening meals, either.  Remember to think about what you'll have for breakfast, lunch, and snacks!

Enough of that!  Let's get to the recipes!!!!

Fajitas - Last week we had a beautiful balsamic beef roast.  I will use some leftovers, throw in some spices, and reheat it with sauteed peppers and onions.  These will get wrapped up in whole wheat tortillas.  *Yes, I buy a few things already made.  There is only so much I can get done in a week!*

Chili - Super easy and you can make it the way you like it!  Our basic recipe is 1# grass fed ground beef, 26 oz can crushed tomatoes, 1 can pinto beans (drained), 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed), chopped onion, chopped green pepper, spices to taste.  Simmer that stuff!

Grilled Chicken and vegetables - Another one that you can just throw together based on your own tastes and what you have in the cupboard.  A good basic recipe:  Rub a little olive oil all over the chicken.  Sprinkle with Italian seasonings.  Grill or bake!

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad - I made this for the first time last week and it made me so happy.  Not only is it filled with wonderful ingredients, but it tastes amazing!  This week, I will throw a little leftover chicken in with it.  Not that it needs it, but that's a good way to stretch it so I am sure to have leftover for my lunch!


Paleo Pizza - MR just loves his pizza.  I like making them personal pan size so I can freeze leftovers for another day, or take them in my lunch.  Use really good quality cheese.  It may cost a little more, but it makes such a difference.  I like Trader Joe's Quattro Formaggio!

Cinnamon Pecan Crunch Cereal - I haven't tried this one yet but doesn't it sound ab fab?!  I get up really really really really (really!) early so I need something I can shove in my bag and eat when I get to work.

Oatmeal Awesome Cookies - These were MR's contribution to the dessert list last week!  Holy wheat-free macaroni, did you try these?!  I can't tell you how amazing they were.  I think it was the coconut sugar.  If you have to, you could probably sub another sweetener but I would highly recommend not, if you can help it.  I had to freeze some of these because we were ripping through them too fast.  (Did I tell you I have issues with moderation?)

What else?  Snacks, lunches, breakfast.  Lots of Greek yogurt and fresh fruit, smoothies, and leftovers!  What kind of recipe would you like to see?  Tell me in the comments and I will see what I can come up with!

Whatever you eat, just Keep it Clean!


No comments:

Post a Comment