There was an error in this gadget

Monday, March 17, 2014

Almond Roca -- all cleaned up!

One of the many treats I used to love love love was almond roca.  That stuff is so addicting!  I could never eat just one piece.  I was craving some almond roca last night when I couldn't sleep, so started thinking about how I might clean it up.  I had an idea all set in my mind this morning, but when I started looking online for a clean recipe -- and couldn't fine one -- I did run across a non-clean version and realized that my idea was missing a key ingredient... toffee!  Well, we can't have roca without toffee.  Luckily, I have the perfect recipe for that!  So I combined this absolutely awesome toffee recipe with my idea for roca and..... here it is!!!!

Isn't it lovely!?  Tastes even better!

Almond Roca

1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1/4 cup extremely finely chopped almonds
1 recipe Paleo Toffee Caramels (just the toffee part)
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks


It's really important to have all your ingredients measured and ready to go.  You have to work quickly once the toffee is ready.

Layer the 1/2 cup chopped almonds on a piece of parchment paper, as thin a layer as possible.  Make the Paleo Toffee Caramel.  When it gets to the part where you spread it on parchment, drizzle it over the chopped almonds, coating as much of the almonds as possible to make a thin layer.  Don't worry if it's not perfect.  As soon as you have scraped out every bit of toffee from the pan, sprinkle the 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds (I actually just used Trader Joe's almond meal -- but I don't recommend almond flour) over the toffee.  Use your hands to spread it out and press it down into the toffee as much as possible.  At this point you can also manipulate the toffee a little to make sure the bottom layer is covered.

Cut into small squares and then put it in the freezer or refrigerator to set up.  Once it is completely cooled, melt dark chocolate and either drizzle over the top, or dip each piece into it if you want it covered completely.  Allow to cool completely until chocolate hardens.

When I spread the toffee over the almonds, there were some on the edges that didn't get covered.  No big deal.  You can scoop those bits up and save for later, or press them into the chocolate before it hardens if you like.  Also, I dipped each piece, and some of the almond meal got in the chocolate.  No matter!  Just keep using it.  It all ends up together!

Alternate method:  Have the almonds chopped and ready and mixed with the almond meal.  As soon as you have the toffee spread out, press the almonds and meal into the toffee.  Then allow to cool and coat with chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment