There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Granola - Oops! I don't have all the ingredients...

I do this a lot... start out making something and then realize I don't have all the ingredients.  As it turns out, though, all this cooking that I have been doing over the past couple years has taught me to improvise, and also what an acceptable substitute might be.  What I ended up with today wasn't way off the beaten path, but it sure is good!

I didn't have raisins or walnuts.  So what's a girl to do?!  Dried cranberries, of course!  And pecans!  And a healthier addition of cinnamon than usual.  Deeeee-lightful!

The original recipe that I use comes from The Gracious Pantry.  It is the first granola recipe I ever used, and it is still my favorite for basic granola.  It's quick, it's easy, and it's stuff most of us (usually) have in our cupboards.  Okay, not me, not today!  But, hey, I do a lot of cooking.

So here is the recipe with my additions.  Not hard.  And certainly can be tweaked to suit you:

The Gracious Pantry Granola - with my twist!

3 cups rolled oats
handful or two of chopped pecans
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 TBSP cinnamon
handful or two of dried cranberries (I make my own when cranberries are in season and freeze them)


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Mix all ingredients together (my Kitchen-Aid is GREAT for this!).  Spread over a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake 15 minutes and stir around.  Bake 15 minutes more and stir around.  Bake 10 minutes.  Remove from oven - it should be nicely browned - and allow to cool.  Store in airtight container.

This makes a great cereal, snack, or mix it with some plain Greek yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment