There was an error in this gadget

Friday, August 1, 2014

Called the Doctor, Doctor Said...

I'm really working on not letting things annoy me.  But, gosh, sometimes it's really hard!  Case in point, a friend recently mentioned that his doctor wants him to lose weight.  The doctor advised he do a no sugar, no flour, no processed foods diet.  So far, so good.  Unfortunately, the doc couldn't stop there.  He said, essentially, this is going to be really really hard.  Seriously?!  How about applying a little psychology here?  First of all, it's not "really really hard."  I would say, depending on the person, it may be a big change.  But I would also say that you don't have to do a full immersion like I did.  You can start with baby steps.  Start with not buying processed foods, perhaps.  Making your own food from scratch.  Then start subbing in whole grains for the flour.  Cut back on the sugar, or replace it altogether with a good alternative.  It can be done.  I've done it. I know other people who have done it.  You can do it!

You know my doc said something similar when I told her a couple years ago that I was very unhappy with my weight.  She basically said, well, not much you can do about it.  WHAT?!  Okay, maybe she did employ some psychology there, because if you tell me I can't, I surely will!  Just to prove a point.  In this case, it was a good point to prove, as it turns out.  She was astonished at the difference just a year later.  MR's doc was also amazed.  All his numbers were so improved after transitioning to clean eating.

Before I go any further, my personal opinion is that different eating lifestyles (not a diet!) work for different people.  I know people who have done very well on any number of eating plans.  Clean eating is what works for me.  The nice thing about clean eating is you can really can just try it for 30 days and see if it makes you feel better.  If weight loss is your goal, it probably won't be fast, but it should be consistent.  Bonuses for me include better sleep and just generally feeling good!

I'm sure there are some very well informed professionals out there.  It just annoys me that some of them just don't seem to be as helpful as they could be or should be.  We all know that obesity is epidemic in our country.  It's important to help patients make smart choices.  I have known of people who are diagnosed with something that might be helped by diet, but not referred to a dietitian or given an eating plan, just told general things like avoid sweets.  Oh, okay, let me go load up on Diet Coke then!  (I don't drink pop, and if I do, just give me the real sugar stuff.  No chemicals required.)

I have many blog and Facebook followers say to me, Just tell me what to eat!  So that's what I try to do!  I am not here to say you can or cannot have something, but if you want to make good choices for clean eating, I will do all I can to help you find a recipe.  This morning I made some DEE-lightful cashew coconut cookies.  From protein to veggies to sweets, I am all about clean eating.  If you have a recipe you'd like cleaned up, let me know.  I will do my best to either find one for you, or clean it up.

And because you are all such loyal readers, here's that Cashew Coconut Cookies recipe:

1 cup cashew meal (or sub almond meal)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
Pinch of sea salt




Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.  Drop from tablespoon onto a non-stick cookie sheet.  Pat down to flatten somewhat.  Bake in a preheated 325 oven for about 10 minutes.  When the edges are very golden brown they are ready, even if the center seems soft.  Allow to cool on the cookie sheet until completely cooled.  Do not overbake.  Do not try to pick them up while still warm (they will crumble).
Also, I haven't yet tried to store these but something tells me putting parchment paper between the cookies might be a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment