There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Spices Gone Wild!

I have taken up a new hobby....  researching foods for Ulcerative Colitis.  Blah.  #1 Son had quite a week recently with a hospital admission that resulted in this diagnosis.  On the up side, though, he has a diagnosis.  I hate he has to deal with this now and for the rest of his life, but it really is something of a relief to *know* what he is dealing with!  So I am reading all kinds of stuff about what to eat, what not to eat.  It's exhausting.  Kind of how I felt when I made the switch to clean eating.  There is just so much information out there, you don't know who to believe.  So, here is what I believe.  We will start slow and see what works for him.  I think that's true with any way of eating.  What works for you is what you should do.  This week's menu at our house will reflect some new things we are trying in an effort to help him with his UC.  But, as always, they will be clean!! No reason to throw all that effort out the window.

I have been reading a lot about the anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric recently.  Apparently, if you combine it with black pepper it greatly increases the absorption rate too.  While I don't think black pepper in a turmeric mango smoothie would be good, we can probably sneak it into some rice seasoned with turmeric.  It is about to get all crazy up in here with the spices!!!

He is an on-the-go kind of person so it helps to have things he can just take with him and eat/drink on the way to work.  I think smoothies might be the way to go to start out.  I found this Turmeric and Ginger Smoothie recipe that uses peaches, which I just happen to have in the freezer left over from a farm stand purchase this summer.  Lucky him!

I don't have much experience cooking with turmeric.  I understand it's in a lot of Indian foods, so if anyone has some great recipes to try, please let me know in the comments.   What are you eating this week?  Whatever it is Keep it Clean!



No comments:

Post a Comment