There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Take Your Lunch to Work Day!

One of the hardest parts of maintaining a clean eating lifestyle can be "what to eat when you're not at home."  Even packing a lunch for work can be a challenge.  To make life a little easier, I present Spicy Pumpkin Meatloaf in a Mug.  Pumpkin and beef may not go together in your mind, but I was totally blown away by how good this is.  The pumpkin makes it moist and the spices add so much flavor, you won't even believe it.  And the smell in the break room will have all your co-workers envious!  I know that some people are opposed to microwaving food, so this one isn't for you. But for those who do use the microwave oven, this is a big winner!

I don't know what is the best part... that it's easy to make (so easy) or that it tastes so good (so yummy)!  I even make this when I am at home.  No point waiting until I go into the office!

Spicy Pumpkin Meatloaf in a Mug (no eggs, no dairy)

1/4 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp garam masala*
1/2 tsp (or to taste) sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Mix with clean hands until well mixed.  Place the mixture in an 8 oz or large microwave-safe mug.  Microwave at 70% for about 6 minutes.  I check it after about 4 minutes and then every couple minutes until it looks done.  Don't overcook, to prevent drying.

Let cool and enjoy!

So okay, but what the heck is garam masala?  Or at least that's what I thought when I first read this recipe!  For those of you not in the know (like me!), it is a blend of ground spices common in North Indian cuisine.  I suppose you can buy it already mixed at a store that sell Indian food, but I opted to make my own.  It's spices you may already have in your cupboard!

*Garam Masala 

1 T ground cumin
1-1/2 tsp ground coriander
1-1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Mix together all ingredients.  Use what you need and store the rest in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment