There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Yogurt Making... it really is easy!

I made yogurt today, for the first time ever!  And I would call this escapade a success!  I was pretty reticent because I didn't want to screw it up and waste 1/2 gallon of milk.... but as it turns out, I had a 1/2 gallon that was coming up on its expiration with no sign it would be used. And the only ingredients you need are 1/2 gallon of milk and 1/2 cup of yogurt with live active cultures. I used Fage plain Greek yogurt.

Off I went to try this out.  The worst part (for me) was having to stir the milk as it heated.  I have never had the patience for that, but I persevered.  Stirred and stirred, gently, while I waited for the thermometer to reach 200F.  Finally got there... well pretty close.... then I just followed the rest of the directions in the recipe.

Here is the link to the full recipe.  How to Make Yogurt at Home

I was really nervous about putting the pan in the oven (turned off), and whether it would be warm enough.  So I decided to turn the oven light on while I was heating the milk.  I could actually tell that it was a little warmer in the oven after the light had been on a bit.  My pot isn't super heavy, so I set it in an insulated bag used for another baking dish.  The directions say you can wrap it in towels if you like.  I'm sure either way works.

My niece does this overnight but I knew I would have plenty of time today, so I made it in the morning and let it sit in the oven for about 6 hours.  When I took it out, it was still warm!  I strained it for a couple of hours through a thin tea towel set in a colander (because I couldn't find cheesecloth at the store today).  It was really nice and thick when I scooped it into the container.  When we eat yogurt, we typically used plain and add fruit and/or honey to each serving.  But I have been told by a pretty reliable source that you can mix in honey, maple syrup, fruit, etc. and freeze individual servings if you like.

Since it was still warm, the taste was a little different, but it was definitely good!  I was pretty surprised and happy with how it turned out.  So, if you have been dragging your feet on trying this.... don't wait any longer!  It takes a lot of time, but most of that is just letting it sit in the oven or letting it strain.

So what are you eating today?  Be sure to Keep it Clean!

3 comments:

  1. Well I thought I made a comment but now I don't see it. ANyway... tea towels.. brilliant! I like it warm, also! Different but good! Oh and don't throw away the strained off liquid (whey)... can be used in anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was making this by the gallon at one point. I love the oven light solution. It works great. I took to doing everything in my canning set up. Put the milk in quart jars, water boil to temp, take out and let cool to temp. Add yogurt, stick in oven. Primary advantage is that it is all ready to stick in the fridge in convenient sizes when done.

    ReplyDelete