There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Lifetime of Healthy Habits

I was on Facebook this morning (as usual!) and saw an ad for a weight loss system.  It doesn't matter which one but it does matter that it's one of the ones that you have to buy their "food."  I put that word in quotes because what they offer doesn't meet my criteria for real food.  Not being a snob, just saying.... if you really want to lose weight and keep it off, it's not about a diet.  It's not about a system.  It's about a lifestyle change.  Unless you want to buy prepackaged stuff through the mail for the rest of your life, I just don't see how it can be sustainable.  It's interesting to me that the ones I have read about still require you to buy fresh fruits and vegetables to add to their meals.  Wouldn't it just be easier to make food?  And help you feel less deprived?

Admittedly, I have not used any of the mail order food programs.  But I do personally know others that have.  Some had some degree of success while they were purchasing the product.  Every one of them has gained it all back since stopping.  To me, that is not a success.  Changing how you eat forever, and sustaining good healthy habits is though.

Almost three years ago I switched to clean eating.  (Added bonus, MR and I lost 80 pounds of combined weight in less than a year!)  I get my food at the grocery store or at the farm market.  I do go to Trader Joe's sometimes, and to Whole Foods occasionally, but it isn't necessary if you don't have those options.  Even not having access to a farm market isn't necessary.  You can do this with just a regular old Kroger, Publix, Giant, or even the Piggly-Wiggly!  My local grocery carries some of the more unusual items that I purchase, such as almond flour, coconut flour, unsweetened coconut.  If yours doesn't, there are ways around that.  (To be honest, I prefer to buy all those things at Trader Joe's because they are cheaper there, but I will get them at Giant in a pinch.)

And, yes, those items can add to your grocery bill.  But you don't buy them every week, or at least I don't.  And you stop buying other things.  MR and I eat clean together.  Which means I don't have to buy special his food and her food.  I just buy food!  And he is not someone that would do a "diet" or eat fake food.  He loves good food, especially desserts.  And we have found a way to make us both happy by eating only real, whole foods!  If you want to ditch the sugar, cut the wheat, or any of the other diets you have read about online, start by making your own food.  If you must buy prepared or prepackaged foods, read the labels!  If you can't pronounce it, you likely shouldn't eat it!

There are so many amazing recipes out there that your family likely will not know you are feeding them clean foods unless you choose to tell them.  Just tell them you've decided to cook more!  My friends like to challenge me to clean up a favorite recipe.  I don't think they have stumped me yet.  Feel free to give it a try by posting a request in the comments!  In the meantime, go make you some Parmesan Chicken.  You know you want to!

Parmesan Chicken

2 lbs chicken tender
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
3 T Italian seasoning blend
1 t chili powder
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup butter, melted

Mix together Parmesan, Italian seasoning, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Dip chicken in butter and then roll in Parmesan mix.  Lay on parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment