There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Recycle! Repurpose! Eat Clean!

I have been making my own granola for a long time.  I had a go to recipe that I still like a lot but my SIL turned me onto one that crisps up even better.... plus it bakes in about half the time.... AND it makes more than the other recipe!  So I still use the other one occasionally, but new go to is from Cookieandkate.com.  I make a batch of this about once a week.  We like to make a snack with plain yogurt, chopped fresh or frozen berries, and a handful of granola.  The nice thing about granola is you can really just throw in whatever you happen to have... within reason!  This is the version I made today:

Healthy Granola from Cookie and Kate

4 cups rolled oats (old fashioned)
1-1/2 cups chopped almonds
1 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup real maple syrup (or honey, or a combination of both!)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips


  • Preheat oven to 350F.  Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except chocolate chips.  Stir to mix.
  • Pour mixture onto baking sheet, spreading into an even layer.
  • Bake at 350 until golden, about 25 minutes, stirring about half way through.
  • Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.  It will continue to crisp as it cools.
  • Break into pieces and add chocolate chips.
  • Serve in an airtight container.

So that's snacks and maybe even part of a great breakfast!  But my focus for you is supper entrees!  So what's for supper this week????  Well, I'm going to make some good use of some leftovers from last week!  We had a pot roast and some grilled chicken, remember?

Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad - Dice leftover grilled chicken.  Rinse and dry one or two heads of Romaine.  Cut Romaine into small pieces.  Toss lettuce with Caesar dressing (yes, I buy it prepared, no, it's not totally clean!).  Sprinkle chopped bacon and shredded Parmesan over top.  Add chicken!

Beef Vegetable Soup - Using last week's pot roast, shred or chop about 2 cups beef and throw that in your slow cooker or large pot.  Also add some of the leftover onions and carrots from your roast.  If you saved the broth, use that.  If not, add about two cups of beef broth.  (You can use leftover broth and added broth.... that's what I had to do.)  Add one 26 oz. can crushed tomatoes.  Add about 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables.  Heat through.

Barbecue Beef Sandwiches - We get whole wheat hamburger buns from Trader Joe's for these.  They don't have any added sugar!  MR just shreds some of the leftover beef and mixes it with his barbecue sauce:
Barbecue Sauce (you will have extra to freeze!)
One 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 oz. apple cider vinegar
3 oz. water
2 TBSP blackstrap molasses
1 TBSP honey
1TBSP prepared mustard

Pumpkin Chipotle Soup with Chicken - This recipe is a hit every time I make it!  This week, we will add in a little diced chicken for protein.  You can serve this with a salad or even grilled cheese!  It's very important that you use only as much chipotle as the recipe calls for.  Also, you can sub whatever sweetener you prefer.  I use coconut sugar.

My entree list is a little short this week!  That's because we are going out one night and eating something definitely not clean and not easy to get another... no point telling you about that!  But you can browse my blog and find lots more great recipe ideas.  I've been thinking about some sweets and treats and I hope to provide you something very special very soon!  Until then ,check out this really easy Chocolate Mousse recipe!!  (It calls for agave, but I use honey.)

Until then, have a great week and Keep it Clean!


***Update!  The subscription link is working fine!  Please sign up on the right to get these posts directly to your email. I will never sell or share your information.***











No comments:

Post a Comment