There was an error in this gadget

Monday, October 31, 2016

Snack Attack!!

It was a very busy weekend around here so I just didn't get to writing much.  But I can't leave you high and dry!  So today I am skipping the menu for the week and sharing a delicious snack recipe. If you need ideas for supper, browse through my previous posts.  Many of them have entire weekly meal plans, including breakfast and lunch!

One reason it was so busy is because MR ran in the 41st Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday.  It was his first, their 41st.  He completed with a good time of 4 hours, 11 minutes, 29 seconds.  I am so proud of him for training all summer, even as hot as it was sometimes, and completing this.  Dude is not a kid anymore either, but he does stay in shape.  He started running half marathons four years ago and has completed six of those so far.  I just thinks it's awesome that anyone would dedicate the miles of running it takes to prepare for a marathon.  (And you really do have to prepare.  We saw a few people being taken off the course on stretchers.)  Over the last 14 weeks (which includes one week off for a mission trip out of the country), he ran 445 training miles.  445 miles!  Craziness!  And then 26.2 yesterday.  He's taking a break today.  Imagine that! :-)  Yay for MR and another item off his bucket list!

Anyway, all that to tell you, today you get a snack recipe.  (It really is a wonderfully easy, incredibly tasty snack though!)  For me, snacking is one of the hardest parts of clean eating.  If you have fruit and a cheese stick, you're good.  But sometimes you want something crunchy. Maybe something salty. Maybe something sweet.  How about something salty and sweet?  How about...

Chili Maple Pepitas!
2 cups pepitas (raw, hulled sunflower seeds)
1 T olive oil
2 T pure maple syrup
1-1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
A few grinds of sea salt

Preheat oven to 300 F.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Combine ingredients and mix well to coat pepitas.  Spread in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet.
Bake 20 minutes* or so, stirring halfway through.

*If you have the option, I found that turning convection bake on allowed them to bake in 20 minutes.  It may take a little longer in a regular oven.  The first batch I made without convection bake was closer to 30 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes.

The recipe title links to the page where I found these little delights, and also includes seven other variations.  I have made the pumpkin spice also, but have to admit the chili maple are my favorite so far!  Have a snack, just don't get crazy!!!

What are you eating this week?  Whatever it is, Keep it Clean!



    Remember to subscribe by clicking on the link on the right.  That way you will get my weekly posts.  (No more than once a week with a rare exception when I find something so amazing I can't wait to share it, so let's say maybe 54 times a year rather than weekly... how does that sound?  but I won't fill up your email because I hate that!)  I'm just here to help you on the path to Clean Eating!










    No comments:

    Post a Comment