There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sharing the Clean!

I started on my clean eating lifestyle about a year ago.  On our walk the other evening, MR and I were talking about how it really is easy now to just eat the right thing.  It has truly become our lifestyle!  After I had been doing this for a while, one of my sisters was asking a lot of questions about it, so I decided to set up a Facebook page where I could share what I learned.  Amazing enough, almost 800 other people were also interested in knowing what I had discovered along the way!  Among those ~800 is a Long Time Friend (LTF).

We only get to see LTF and his wife (LTF2) about every 3 months or so.  When we saw them this past summer, about 4 months into our new journey, they noticed right away that we had lost weight and were feeling good!  They had some questions, which we gladly answered.  Then LTF started following my Facebook page, Clean Eating -- It's a Lifestyle, and following a clean eating lifestyle himself.  When we saw them again in November for a weekend away, he brought along his Magic Bullet and whipped up his smoothies each morning for breakfast.  Definitely starting to see some weight loss there!

We just got together with them again in February for dinner and cards.  Turns out LTF2 has also joined in and you could see right away they were both looking slimmer and healthier!  LTF was shrinking out of his work shirts, so took some of the ones MR couldn't wear anymore.   LTF reported he was under 200# for the first time in a long time! MR spoke to LTF again the other day and he said his shirts are getting too big again, even the slim fit ones!  And LTF2 is cooking a lot of Paleo recipes as part of their journey.

I am so very pleased for them, and for anyone who just takes on the challenge of their weight, their fitness, whatever challenge they face, and does something about it.  It's easy to eat junk because it's cheap, easy and available everywhere!  Eating clean takes more thought and planning, but I can personally attest to the benefits, and that truly, today, it is now just a part of who I am.  I just do it.  And, even better, it is a part of MR's life too.  Past "diets" have resulted in me eating one thing while the family ate something else.  So, you think eating clean is hard and time consuming?  Try cooking two separate meals every night!  MR embraced this one without hesitation.  It was easy because I cook things he likes!  Just CLEAN!  And he lost the weight right along with me (even though he's always been hot!).  Even #1 son will eat what the clean foods I cook.  He is 24 (and skinny as a rail), so he still eats some junk, but when he eats what I cook it is healthy and he doesn't complain, so that's a start!  Same thing for Baby Girl.  She is away at college and does her own cooking.  It's hard for her because of her class schedule and work, but she really makes the effort, and it shows!  (She's going to run in her first half marathon next weekend!)

I am so thankful that through this I have been able to share it with others and they are seeing the benefit as well.  I know firsthand that badgering people into losing weight, quitting smoking and/or drinking, or whatever other vice they may have, will not work.  What works is modeling the behavior and sharing the information when asked.

And just to reiterate something I have said before...  Clean eating has not only helped me lose weight, it has allowed me to reduce my medication level for my thyroid (down from 125 mcg to 88 mcg) and I also sleep so much better.  For years I was happy to get more than 4 hours straight of sleep.  Now I routinely sleep 7 hours without waking up.  If I do wake up, I go right back to sleep.  That used to never happen!  So there are many benefits to eating clean.  Try it out and you'll see what I mean!

No comments:

Post a Comment