There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Beef, Brussels, and Sweets!

We had a great taste of Spring over the last couple of weeks but Winter decided to make a comeback! It isn't the worst Winter weather, but it's still a lot colder than I'd like.... but that from someone who definitely prefers the Spring and Summer temps South of the Mason-Dixie Line!

With the cooler temps, I thought I'd try some nice warm comfort food.  This does a couple things:  1) gives us something warm in our bellies and 2) warms up the house with the oven!!  I had found one recipe but then realized I didn't have the cut of meat I needed.  So I combined a couple of recipes to make a meal that was truly no less than amazingly flavorful.   The beef turned out tender, and the vegetables provided great complementary taste.  This recipe takes some planning because you should marinate the meat at least one hour.


Roasted Santa Maria Tri-Tip with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes

2 pound tri-tip steak
3 TBSP beef rub (see recipe below)
1/4 cup olive oil (divided)
12 oz Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1 medium sweet potato, halved lengthwise and
        sliced in thin half moons
1 tsp dry thyme
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper




Heat oven to 350F.

Sprinkle the beef with the rub and massage in.  Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.  Remove from refrigerator and allow to sit out while preparing vegetables.

Place the Brussels sprouts and sweet potato in a 9x13 glass baking dish.  Toss with 2 TBSP olive oil,  thyme, sea salt and pepper.  Spread in an even layer.

Add 2 TBSP of olive oil to a heavy skillet.  Heat burner to high until pan is very hot.  Add beef, fat side down.  Turn to medium high and sear each side about 2-3 minutes.

Place the roast on a rack over the pan of vegetables. Bake at 350 about 30 minutes until meat thermometer reaches about 130F for medium rare.  (We cook ours to 140 which allows for just a little pink in the center.)


Beef Marinade

2 TBSP ground coffee
1-1/2 TBSP kosher salt
1-1/2 TBSP garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 TBSP coconut sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Measure all ingredients into a glass jar.  Cover with tight fitting lid and shake well to combine.  Store in a cool dry place.

What are you eating this week?  Whatever it is... Keep it Clean!

If you would like many of my recipes in one handy place, check out my Clean Eating Lifestyle Recipe Book available for Kindle or in paperback on Amazon!




Remember to subscribe by clicking on the link on the right.  That way you will get my weekly posts.  (No more than once a week with a rare exception when I find something so amazing I can't wait to share it, so let's say maybe 54 times a year rather than weekly... how does that sound?  but I won't fill up your email because I hate that!)  I'm just here to help you on the path to Clean Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment