There was an error in this gadget

Friday, February 20, 2015

Recipes for a Wintry Season

I was going to tattle on someone.  I was going to tell you what I saw in her fridge today.  But then I realized that I would be breaking my own rule.  This blog and my Facebook page are about how I eat, not how I think anyone else should eat.  It's just my way of sharing what has worked for me.  My friend apparently eats a way that is different than mine.  I am not going to tell her she's wrong.  Because, frankly, maybe she isn't!  I am not a doctor, nutritionist, or any other professional that might have any clue about nutrition.  I just know that clean eating has helped me to lose weight and feel better.

So instead, I will tell you what we are eating this week.  As always, leftovers from supper go into lunches, so I don't have anything different to share for lunch.  But I will share some favorite breakfast ideas!  You might notice that there is a fair amount of fat in my daily eating plan.  I am not really tracking fat or calories or anything but I have found that more fat does help me feel fuller and it doesn't seem to impact my ability to keep the weight off.

The weather here, as in many parts of the US, has been so cold.  So very very cold!  Because of that I am throwing in a couple of slow cooker recipes.  Nothing better than coming home to the smell of home cooking!

Cream Cheese Chicken and Black Beans - The important thing to remember with this one is to be sure to use a salsa that doesn't have added sugars or any preservatives or other junk.  It's best if you have made your own, but if you didn't.... well, it's kind of the wrong time of year to worry about that!!!  I will probably serve this over brown rice.

Slow Cooker Stir Fry - This is a very adaptable recipe.  Pretty much you can use any leftover bits of vegetables you might have.  Or you can get some just for this.  Whatever works!  Be sure to omit the sugar and, if you like, you can sub coconut aminos for the soy sauce.

Chili -   You can make this to suit your family.  We just used a 26 ounce can of crushed tomatoes, a drained and rinsed can of black beans, a drained can of pinto beans.  Add that to 1# ground beef which has been browned with a small chopped onion.  Season to taste.  Voila!!!  Supper!

Chicken Caesar Salad - The other day I cooked a couple pounds of chicken tenders.  I used some to make chicken salad but still have some left.  So I will chop that up and throw it in with some Romaine, clean Caesar dressing (Trader Joe's makes a Romano dressing that's clean-ish and tastes wonderful or you can make your own), a little crumbled bacon, and some freshly grated Parmesan.  Another quick and easy meal.  Okay, not a Winter meal... but I have to use up all that chicken I cooked!

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad - I already made the quinoa for this.  It's just sitting in the fridge waiting for me to get back to it.  Remember to rinse your quinoa before you cook it.  Otherwise, your refrigerator will stink stink stink!!!  This probably isn't exactly a Winter time meal, either but I haven't made it in a long time and I really like it.  Plus it's super easy to take in lunches because it doesn't require heating up!

Yogurt - Okay, this isn't for supper, but I do make my own yogurt now (can you imagine?!).  It's easy and tastes so good.  I can't believe how much I have probably spent on buying yogurt over the years when I could just do this.  MR takes this most days for a snack with some frozen fruit or granola.  By the time he has a chance to eat it, the fruit is thawed and mixes right in!  (He takes it in a separate container though and mixes it when he's ready to eat.)   I also make my own granola.  Just throw a batch in on Sunday afternoon, and we are set for the week.



Fluffy eggs - This is a microwave recipe so that might not work for some of you, but I don't mind using the microwave.  This is so easy and my new favorite way to eat eggs.  I can even do this at work because we have a microwave in the break room.  In the microwave, heat 2 ounces of cream cheese for 20 seconds in a large ramekin (or even a big coffee mug if that's what you have).   Take it out and beat in two eggs (I usually pre-beat these a little just to help them mix in a little better).  Then microwave the eggs and cream cheese together in the dish for 45 seconds.  Remove from microwave and beat it all again making it as creamy as you can. It doesn't have to be perfect.  Then microwave for two minutes.  It will puff way up, but I have never had it overflow... don't worry!  Then when it's ready, you can eat it right out of the dish.  You can make this super savory by adding bacon bits or some spices.  Or you can sweeten it up by adding a little sweetener substitute of choice when you add the eggs and then pour a little real maple syrup over it.  I eat them plain but occasionally do the sweet version.

So that's pretty much what we're eating at my house this week.  What about you?  What's for supper?  Whatever it is, Keep it Clean!!









No comments:

Post a Comment