There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, August 18, 2016

I Have Good News and I Have Bad News.....

Bad news:  Last week I was home alone so I was pretty lazy about cooking and eating.
Good news:  I ate up a lot of the leftovers that were in the fridge so we can start fresh this week!
Bad news:  I have to create a plan for the whole week!
Good news:  We will likely try out some new recipes!

Yes, we will definitely try out some new recipes.  I am especially interested in the Chicken Stir Fry recipe below from PaleoGrubs.com because I love love love garam masala!  But we have a freezer full of grass fed beef (how lucky are we?!) so I am going to sub in beef for the chicken.  In the winter I make a microwave meatloaf that uses garam masala so I know the flavors will work together.

So let's see what else is on the menu this week:

Chewy dark chocolate chunk cookies  - I actually made these this morning.  I was a little nervous about using all that almond butter in a recipe I hadn't tested so I halved the recipe.  They turned out good, so next time I will make the full recipe.

Grilled Chicken with sauteed shallots and rosemary - Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper (or whatever you want.... maybe a little lemon pepper?) grill as usual.  While that's going on, thickly slick 4 medium shallots, saute in 4 tablespoons coconut oil with 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped rosemary.    When you take the chicken off the grill, give it a quick turn in the pan with the shallots and rosemary to sear in the flavors.  Serve with a green salad.

Chicken salad - We are all about the leftovers at this house.  Use some leftover chicken, and make chicken salad your way!  The basic recipe is cooked chicken and Duke's mayo (our favorite).  Last week I mixed in fresh blueberries and it was amazing.  You can add pine nuts, roasted sunflower seeds, chopped pecans, raisins, dried cranberries (remember to use the no sugar added kind)... whatever you want!  Because my leftover chicken will have shallots and rosemary, I am thinking some pine nuts will add crunch without detracting from all that flavor.

Black beans and rice - We eat this a lot in the winter but we love it all year round too.  Because 1) it's tasty and 2) it's easy! Or may because 1) it's easy and 2) it's tasty!  Cook brown rice according to the package.  (We usually use one cup dry rice.)  Put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a big skillet.  Add a rough cut onion and saute until tender.  Add a couple cloves of chopped garlic and saute another minute.  Pour in two cans of drained and rinsed black beans and one can of Mexican style stewed tomatoes.  If you can't find those kind of stewed tomatoes, use one can of regular stewed tomatoes and a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis.  Stir and heat through.  Serve over rice.

Grilled steak and onions -  We will throw a couple of those grass fed steaks on the grill and while they're doing their thing, we will cook very rough cut onions on the cool grill pan my SIL turned me onto.  You really need to get one of these things!!  We will serve those with green beans.

Hot dogs and slaw -  Hot dogs probably are never going to be totally clean, but the Hebrew National ones come close enough for an occasional indulgence.  We prefer Trader Joe's whole wheat hot dog buns, or you can eat it with no bread!  Cook your dogs however you prefer.  The secret is the slaw.  MR came up with this recipe and it's my new go-to!   MR's Sure-to-be-Famous Coleslaw

Chicken (or beef) Stir Fry - As I said above, I am going to sub beef in this recipe.  I feel quite sure it's going to become a favorite!!!  If you haven't used garam masala yet, you are missing out!  It adds amazing flavor!!

As always, lunches are usually leftovers and breakfasts are plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of homemade granola.  Eating clean doesn't have to be complicated, you just have to plan a little!

What are you eating this week?  Remember to Keep it Clean!!




No comments:

Post a Comment