There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Trying Not To Freak Out!

We turned the calendar to December this week, and I am suddenly feeling frantic!  No reason to, since my gift shopping is done, but there are always so many other things to do and places to go, that I feel myself getting freaked out!  I think I'll make some raspberry coconut dark chocolate muffins.... oh yeah!  
This is just to help calm me... in case the muffin doesn't do the trick!!

While I'm snacking on a muffin... oh they are soooo good.... I'll show you my menu for this week, including recipes of course!  Hopefully, having a plan and some great recipes will calm the part of me that is running around like the proverbial headless chicken!

So one issue -- which did not help the anxiety! --  is that the tortilla soup recipe I am sharing is not my-kitchen-tested version because the one I usually use has a broken link and I can't get to it! Since it's been a while since I made it, I can't remember the exact recipe.  But I will wing it with the one I have posted below and I am pretty sure it will be fine!

Something else new for me to try this week is freshly made whole wheat tortillas.  You know, it looks so simple! Which means there is a good chance I will mess it up!  But I will give it a shot and let you know how it works out for me.  Not really sure how trying new recipes is supposed to calm me.. but this muffin sure isn't hurting things!!

So without further ado, herewith my recipes for this week.....  (And yes, I really do say things like that!)


Easy Beef Stir Fry - You know they had me at "easy" with this one!  I have some stir fry beef just taking up space in the freezer, and I can make the quinoa ahead, which will save time later, so... you know... why not?!


Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken Verde - This is the recipe I need tortillas for.  I think this sounds good.  A little sweet... a little hot.. Yeah!!  

And here is the tortilla recipe!!

Whole Wheat Pasta with....
Easy Marinara Sauce

Heat 2 TBSP olive oil in a large saucepan.  Add 1 small chopped onion.  Saute until onion is tender.  Add 1 or 2 cloves garlic (crushed).  Saute another minute or two.  Add a cup of chopped peppers (green, yellow, red, whatever you choose... sometimes I used frozen mixed peppers).  Saute until tender.
Stir in 1/2 cup red wine.  (This is optional but in my opinion it really makes the sauce amazing!)
Pour in two 26 oz cans crushed tomatoes.  
Add 1-2 TBSP Italian seasoning (to taste).
Heat and simmer, stirring occasionally.  
I simmer at least 30 minutes, but sometimes longer.


And here is that new tortilla soup recipe to try.  I've adapted it from another one I found online, since I can't find my usual. 😱  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for this recipe, please let me know in the comments!  I'll let you know if it turns out a winner!

Tortilla soup 


  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced.
  • 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
  • 4 ounce can of mild green chili peppers, diced
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Handful crushed tortilla chips, optional
  • Optional toppings such as cheese, sour cream, avocado

Heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add chopped onion and saute until tender, stirring occasionally.  Add garlic and saute another minute.  Pour in crushed tomatoes, broth, black beans, corn, chili peppers.  Stir in oregano, chili power, and cilantro.  Simmer about 30 minutes on low.  Serve with tortillas and optional toppings.

Red Hasselback Potatoes with Shallot Herb Butter - Okay, this recipe is a total bonus!  I'm not making these this week, but wouldn't they be amazing next to a grilled steak next summer?!?!?

Okeedoke... that's all for this week.  What are you eating?  Whatever it is... Keep it Clean!




No comments:

Post a Comment