There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Workin' for a Livin'!

The good news is, I started a new job on May 6.  The bad news is, the commute is a little longer.  The good news is, I really like my job.  The bad news is, I don't have as much time for testing recipes and researching interesting clean eating information.

So here I sit on a Saturday morning with my first cup of coffee.  The house is quiet because only I would get up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday when I don't have to be anywhere.  But 6 is a whole lot later than 4:45, so I feel like I slept in!  And I am pondering what to make/eat this weekend.  I have no plan.  I always have a plan.  But, gosh, I am just tired!!!

That got me to thinking that probably a whole lot of you are just too tired or too busy to be dealing with a lot of prepping and planning.  You might still have younger children, end of school events, or a plethora of other things to keep you busy.  But you still want to eat clean.  So how do we do that?  Heck if I know.  HA!  Actually, I think it still can be done.  We just have to really simplify.

One thing we can't skip is the list. I love my lists.  Just look in my purse.  Well, don't really because ... ACK!  Never know for sure what you might find in there.


Okay, this ^^ is what you'll find there.  It is very scary!  But in that mess, there are lots of post-its, old bills and envelopes with notes scribbled on them.  So scribble out your menu for the week on whatever is handy.  Just make sure it's not the back of the service bill for AC.  Must pay the AC guy!  (Never tick off the AC guy.)  Here are some of the simplest things I can think of to make and might go on my menu this week:

MON - Baked beans and burgers
*If you don't want to deal with the slower cooker, try Honey Lime Slaw instead

TUE - Tortilla Soup
*This makes a fair amount so you can have it for lunch the rest of the week, or make them eat leftovers of soup later.  That will really save some time!

WED - Black beans and rice
Saute half an onion (or so) and one or two cloves of garlic (crushed) in 2 TBPS olive oil.  Add one can of rinsed and drained black beans and one can of Mexican style stewed tomatoes.  Stir and heat through.  Serve over brown rice.  (About 4 servings)  This recipe can be doubled or tripled for a larger family.

THU- Black bean quinoa salad
*I like this one because it uses quinoa which cooks very quickly.  Another good one to make extra of for your lunches.

FRI- Breakfast.   bacon and egg sandwich   Or, depending on how your week has gone, just make some eggs and bacon, a little side of fruit.  Just wash it, don't even slice it... or better yet just give them a whole banana... it's the end of the week for cryin' out loud!

What I like best about this menu is that I have most of the ingredients in my kitchen most of the time.  When you get a chance to go to the grocery store, just be sure to stock up on pinto beans, black beans, quinoa, tomato sauce, brown rice, eggs, and bacon.  You can make a lot of quick, clean foods with those ingredients and a few spices.  Plus this is the time of year that all the good stuff will be coming into season.  Summer time is the time for lighter meals, so grab the berries, tomatoes, cukes, whatever they are selling at the roadside stand, and ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment