There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Clean Eating Breakfast Bars

I found this Grainless "Nutri-Grain" Bar recipe.  Since I am always on the lookout for something like this that I can grab and go, I thought I'd give it a shot.  As usual, I didn't have everything the recipe called for, so I subbed where I knew I could.  They turned out good!  I will admit that rolling them out and then putting another layer on top was the tricky part.  I ended up kind of piecing together the tops.  So they aren't beautiful but they are totally edible!  Below is my recipe, or you can use the one linked above.

BREAKFAST BARS

3/4 cup almond meal
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 TBSP flax meal
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp Hawaiian sea salt (or whatever sea salt you have)
No sugar added preserves  (try to get the cleanest you can).  Or just use fresh or frozen berries.


In a large bowl, mix almond meal, coconut flour, flax, and cinnamon.  In a separate bowl, cream oil, coconut sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt.  Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix until well combined.  Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 F.  Grease two pieces of parchment paper with coconut oil.  Place half the dough on a piece of parchment, then cover with the other greased parchment.  Using a rolling pin, roll into a rectangle about 1/4" or less thick.  (While thinner is a little harder when making these, it makes the finished product a little less dense.)  Cut the rolled piece into rectangles.  Place a little preserved down the center of each piece.  Roll out the other half the same way and make the tops.  I really just rolled it out and kind of pieced it together.  As I said, not pretty but still yummy.  Pinch the edges to seal seams.  Place on parchment paper on cookie sheet and bake about 14 minutes.  Move to cooling rack and allow to cool completely.  Make 8 - 12, depending on size.

No comments:

Post a Comment