There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, October 22, 2016

No Tricks... Just Treats!!



    Remember to subscribe by clicking on the link on the right.  That way you will get my weekly posts.  (No more than once a week with a rare exception when I find something so amazing I can't wait to share it, so let's say maybe 54 times a year rather than weekly... how does that sound?  but I won't fill up your email because I hate that!)  I'm just here to help you on the path to Clean Eating!


    Most of my recent posts have been exclusively about great tasting, easy making, clean eating supper ideas.  But everybody wants a treat now and then, don't they?  Earlier this week I made a pretty fabulous treat.... if I do say so myself (and I do)!  It started out to be a clean eating version of Butterfinger!  Yes!  Butterfinger!  And if you follow this recipe at the vegan8.com, you can create one too.  I have made them using that recipe, and they turned out really good.  But... I didn't have any dried white mulberries, and honestly, those suckers are kind of expensive.  So I thought and I thought and thought some more... what could I use in place of the mulberries?  The author of that blog says they are there for crunch.  What else crunches?  How about toffee!?  I won't say this tastes like a Butterfinger, but I will say... it turned out really great!  I cut them into bars and keep them in the freezer for an occasional treat.  MR loves them and so do I!  I hope you do too!

    Toffee Nut Candy Bars
    (based on this and that)

    First, make a batch of toffee:

    1 tsp vanilla
    1/3 cup almond butter
    1/4 cup coconut sugar
    1/3 cup honey
    1/4 cup water
    You will need a candy thermometer

    Measure vanilla and almond butter and have ready to go.  (You work pretty quickly once the other ingredients are hot enough!)  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Put coconut sugar, honey, and water in a medium saucepan over medium high heat, stirring frequently until it comes to a boil and the coconut sugar is dissolved.
    Insert a candy thermometer and boil, stirring frequently (edited to add), until it reaches 285 degrees (F).
    Remove from heat and quickly stir in the almond butter and vanilla.
    Pour the mixture onto the parchments paper and spread evenly and thinly.  It thickens quickly, but don't worry if you don't get it all perfect.... you're going to smash it to bits later anyway!
    Place the toffee in the fridge to completely harden.  About 30 minutes should do it.
    Break the toffee into big chunks and put it in a plastic zip bag.  Smash it to bits!!  Set aside.

    Next, make the rest of the candy bar:

    3/4 cup peanuts
    1/8 tsp fine sea salt
    2 TBSP honey
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    Toffee, smashed to tiny bits (see above)
    3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

    Line a 9x5 pan with parchment paper, leaving some hang over the sides.
    Put the peanuts and salt in a food processor and pulse until a crumbly flour forms.  Don't let it turn to paste. Add toffee and pulse a few more times just to mix well.
    Add honey and vanilla.  Pulse a few times until clumps starts to form.  Again, don't let it get too pasty.  You should be able to pinch it and it will stick together.
    Dump the dough into the prepared pan and spread evenly.  Overlap the parchment paper and press down hard and even.  Refrigerate about 30 minutes.
    Melt the chocolate (however you prefer to do this... I microwave about 30 seconds, stir, microwave another 15 seconds and stir, and keep doing that until I get a spreadable consistency).  Spread half the chocolate evenly over the top of the cold bars.  Refrigerate about 15 minutes until the chocolate is hard.  Flip the bars over and spread the rest of the chocolate on that side (you may have to melt the chocolate a little if it starts to thicken while you're waiting for the first side to harden).  Refrigerate again until the chocolate it hard.
    Cut into six bars... or you can cut them into smaller pieces, if you like.
    Store in the freezer for best results.  Enjoy!!

    And the headline says "treats" in the plural, so here's another...

    Cinnamon Rolls!

    And another....

    Cheesecake!

    Okay, so that takes care of that!  But what's for supper this week??  I have some good choices for you!

    Chicken Bombs - These are billed as an appetizer, but I could easily make a meal of them.  Try to find a pepper jelly without added  sugar.

    Egg Roll Stir Fry - This is so quick to make.  Make your life even easier by buying pre-chopped cabbage and carrots!

    Meatballs alla Parmigiana - I have been making these for a long time.  They really are some of the best meatballs I've ever made.  You can use them for sandwiches, with pasta, or just as your entree.  It makes quite a few so we usually freeze half for another time.

    Maura's BBQ - This link will take you to a few favorites... scroll down to find this easy slow cooker recipe!

    What's on your menu this week?  Whatever it is, Keep it Clean!!





    No comments:

    Post a Comment