There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Muffin Man Comes to Visit on a Snow Day!

I am a Yankee living south of the Mason-Dixon line.  In the winter, that translates to possibility of snow equals snow day!  I love it!  What would be a nuisance to my northern friends, is a really big deal here.  I have been stuck in the snow, slipped and slided all the way home from work, and scraped away 2" of partly cloudy from my windshield more times than I care to count.  So this geographically dispersed Yankee will take  every snow day they want to throw at me!

I did go out for a walk this morning.  Walked to the boardwalk to get a cup of coffee.  The wind is picking up off the water and it's getting pretty cold out there.  Just reaffirmed my decision to pretty much stay put and wait for the snow.  In the meantime, though, why not warm up the kitchen with something really tasty?!  I took some bananas out of the freezer in anticipation of one recipe, but when I looked at it more closely, it was far too complicated.  Not going to burden myself or you with a complicated recipe.  Cooking and eating should be enjoyable and I, for one, don't get any pleasure out of complicated recipes.  So easy muffins it is!  I found one online that looked pretty good but all the ingredients weren't clean.  Can't have that!  So I cleaned it up and here is the result.

When cranberries are in season around Thanksgiving, I buy a lot of them and either dry them and freeze them or just freeze them fresh.  Either way works in this recipe.  If you didn't plan ahead in November to make these in January (LOL) then you can buy fruit juice sweetened dried cranberries at Whole Foods.  Be careful, though, because the majority of dried cranberries are sugar-sweetened.  I don't sweeten my cranberries because I like the tartness of them combined with the sweet of whatever I am mixing them into.

Banana Cranberry Muffins with Chopped Pecans


Banana Cranberry Muffins

2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1 egg
3 TBSP coconut oil (liquefied)
3 mashed bananas (about 1-1/4 cups)
1/4 cup almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cranberries (dried or fresh frozen)
1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional (or walnuts will work)

Preheat oven to 350.  Line 12 serving muffin pan with cupcake liners.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut sugar and egg.  Mix in coconut oil, bananas, milk, and vanilla.  Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir just until combined.  Fold in cranberries.
Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin tin.  Sprinkle chopped pecans on top of each muffin.
Bake 18-22 minutes until top springs back when lightly pressed.

Makes 12.

I hope you like these because I sure do.  Not light and fluffy like you get with regular white flour, but really good anyway!!!  Whatever you are doing on this snow day, Keep it Clean




No comments:

Post a Comment